Why we like them:
- Australians use four billion plastic bags annually, which means over 10 million new bags are used every day, or that we each use 200 a year.
- Approximately 30 to 50 million plastic bags end up as litter on our beaches, streets and parks.
- Plastic bags don’t go away; they just break up into smaller and smaller pieces of plastic, taking between 15 and 1,000 years to break down in the environment.
- Every year more than six million tonnes of rubbish is dumped into the world’s oceans, 80 percent of this being plastic bags.
- Australians throw away about 7,150 recyclable plastic bags a minute, with 429,000 recyclable plastic supermarket bags dumped into landfill every hour.
- Only three per cent of Australia’s plastic bags are recycled, despite recycling facilities being available at major supermarkets.
- The energy consumed in the life cycle of one plastic bag is estimated to be equivalent to 13.8 millilitres of crude oil, or about a teaspoonful.
Should we keep going?
Plastic bags are the worst and we are so proud to work with a South Australian manufacturer who is here to make a difference! BioBag World Australia offers compostable alternatives to plastic bags that break down anywhere oxygen and microorganisms exist, with no toxic or microplastic residues. From their range of products, we selected certified home compostable products to support you in your sustainable journey. We tried and tested them for many months and we are fully confident you’ll love them too, not only for the positive impact they make but also because they are made locally in Adelaide.
Source: Planet Ark ; Clean Up Australia ; Government of South Australia, News Release – SA Pushes Ahead with Bag Ban by end of year